Twitter

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

The World of Gluten-Free

I was speaking to a homeopathist recently who told me that my difficulty in losing weight was likely due to the presence of several triggers in my diet -- wheat, dairy, corn, soy and sugar.

I don't have the time or budget to create a diet for myself that doesn't have any of these elements, but I decided that I'm going to try to reduce all of them and eliminate gluten for awhile and see what happens.

Since store-bought gluten-free products are so expensive, I'm going to try doing some home-baking. I bought a bag of "gluten free flour" at the store, all ready to get moving on this project, but once I was home I saw that it's basically corn flour. That didn't seem to be very healthy, even if I wasn't trying to avoid corn.

Spelt flour seems to be the most accessible, so we'll start with that. I found an interesting website, Breadtopia , that gave an overview of spelt flour, and then a recipe that looks pretty good. So as soon as I can find some spelt flour, I'll get started.

The recipe that I found is made with yeast, but there's another one that I saw that is made with some sourdough starter, so perhaps in the meantime I'll put some starter out to...um...start.... and try another batch in a week or two.

In the meantime, I'm Weight Watchering it. Bummer. 

No comments: