Twitter

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Out on My Own

This week marks my one-year anniversary of working from home as a freelancer. I have been trying to think of the pros and cons of my move, but to be honest, the only con that I can think of is that it was nice to work with nice people. I enjoyed working with a genuinely nice bunch of co-workers and bosses and I do miss that interaction.

Having said that, there is nothing like getting up in the morning, pouring myself a nice hot cuppa chico (like Postum -- coffee substitute, since i'm still on homeopathy and off coffee) and settling down for the day.

I enjoy the challenge. I have several permanent clients so i know that I have a steady income and I have enough leeway that I can take small jobs in-between for some interesting variation.

I enjoy the freedom. Two years ago my doctor advised that I take vitamin D supplements because I had, in her words, almost no vitamin D in my body. These days, after a mandatory morning walk in the sun, my vitamin D level is just fine. And I love the walks (as do my dogs who have also benefited from the new arrangement). .

I take total responsibility for everything that I do. If I screw up, it's me, myself and I to blame. On the other hand, no one blames me for something that I didn't do.

I like writing, which is what I mainly do. And as I do more, I get better (I think, anyway).

I can have some fun, like with this blog. I always tell people that it's therapy, and that's true (cheaper than a therapist) but it's also fun to share my thoughts and hear people say "I like what you have to say."

I can dream a bit. My dream job would be to have someone subsidize my living expenses for a year while I write a book about the people who end up in my little town. It's an eclectic group of -- as my son calls them, "alternative people"  -- but they make for a life that's never boring.

And now, off for my morning walk in the sun........

No comments: