Twitter

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ramblin' (Wo)Man

Rosh Hashana has come and gone and so, thankfully, has Yom Kippur. I did try to draw some spiritual insights from the day and managed to spend a good amount of time in shul -- it helped that the local House of Love and Prayer, a Carlebach Minyan, set up camp right down the street from me in an (well) air-conditioned building. Almost the entire tefillah (prayer) was singing and I spent more time in shul than I ever have before on a Yom Kippur.

Some of my insights from the last few weeks:
  • no one likes to be reminded that, as we're sitting down to our post-fast meal, there are plenty of people around the world who are just as hungry and have no meal waiting for them at the end of the day. It's always on my mind but I have to learn how to keep these thought to myself if I want to avoid the "oh here she goes again" comments
  • As secular or unaffiliated as most Israelis are, the vast majority wouldn't dream of  driving, looking for entertainment or even eating on Yom Kippur. Which is nice to see a little unity for once, but I can't help wondering....if someone sees the importance of Yom Kippur, why drop the rest of it? I mean, do whatever you want, but it just seems to be...inconsistent.
  • Most Reform Temples in the United States are called Temple Beth El or Temple Emanuel or Temple Israel. Every city seems to have all of those three. Wonder why?  (I connect to Jewish educators online for my Jewish Online Education project and have noticed this phenomena. Interesting).
  • Ever notice how many of the things that we ask forgiveness for on Yom Kippur have to do with what comes out of our mouths? It's by far the biggest percentage of sins. Just sayin'
  • Doesn't it sound wonderful to say to yourself "I'm not going to worry about X. I'm just going to give it over to God." And then, you wonder how many homeless people say the same thing
  • There's nothing like living in our own country. The FB post that I put up today has already over 50 "likes" and is still going strong, so evidently other people think so too.

No comments: