Twitter

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Hummos Dreams

A few months ago I read that prepared hummos, the ever-present Israeli garbanzo-bean spread, is -- surprisingly -- not healthy. I glanced at the article but didn't follow it up because it seemed ridiculous -- humos, made from garbanzo beans, garlic, tehina and salt, is about the healthiest food imaginable.

Well, a few days ago I happened to glance at the ingredients on my hummos container and sure enough, they add vegetable oil and a liberal dose of  other goodies (corn syrup? Really? and sodium bicarbonate? for what?) to bulk up an otherwise healthy recipe.


So I decided to give homemade hummos a try again. I've made it before, in my food processor, but it always came out grainy. this time I used the blender and it came out great. I believe that we'll be having more homemade hummos in the future.


Laurie's Healthy Hummos
garbanzo beans -- soaked overnight and boiled till soft
tehina (I use the whole sesame seed tehina for a bit of added iron)
salt
lemon
some of the reserved liquid from the cooked garbanzo beans

Boil the garbanzo beans. Stick in the blender with tehina, lemon juice, salt and some of the reserved water from the garbanzo beans. Blend and then add more tehina, salt, lemon juice or water, depending on the taste and texture that you want to achieve.

By the way, I'm trying to buy a camera so that I can add more images to my blogposts (full disclosure...these pics here are from google images), so we're going to try one of these fundsourcing campaigns...anyone who wants to donate to Laurie's Campaign to Buy a Camera (of the last 3 cameras that I've had, my daughter broke two and my son lost one on his army base), feel free to make a contribution to laurierappeport@yahoo.com on paypal.

 

3 comments:

rena said...

try adding some garlic to your chummous mix, too

Laurie Rappeport said...

oh yes, I actually did but I just watched a video from an expert hummos maker and he said to add an entire head of garlic per 1/2 kilo (about 1 pound) of garbanzo beans.

He also said to use 1 1/2 cups of tehina per 1/2 kilo which seems like a lot to me, but I'm going to give it a try.

More beans soaking now.

mikimi said...

A pinch of parsley too.
If lazy you can use a can of chickpeas and blend with spices and its liquid.