Twitter

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Healthy Living -- Try, Try Again



I'm trying to eat healthier (more healthily?) and reduce calories so when my daughter told me that my new favorite snack, popcorn, was high in calories (not including the oils used to pop it or the butter that some people smear over it) I panicked. Luckily we live in the day of the Internet so I googled it and found that the nutritionist for the Today show gave it a clean bill of health. Whew. I make popcorn a few times every week and use olive oil to pop it and then sprinkle brewers yeast over it so it really is pretty yummy and relatively low-fat (I don't have a microwave so I'm stuck with the old-fashioned popper method). 

I also have to mention that, since I've started to use brewers yeast (just sprinkling it on popcorn...what else is there?) my nails have strengthened and don't tear every time I glance their way. Brewers yeast is supposed to be high in vitamin B12 -- maybe there's something to it?
 
I also adapted a fruit shake to the seasonal fruits and made myself one this morning. Aside from the time that it takes to peel the fruit and get everything in there, it's nice and filling and very energizing. 
 Since my daughter said "yuck" and no one else is going to give me any props for this, I might as well share my hard work
  • 2 apples
  • 2 mangos
  • 3 bananas
  • tehina
  • yogurt
  • low-fat milk
  • flax seed
  • pomegranate seeds (yes, I spent the time opening a pomegranate and peeling off the seeds, but the combination of sweet fruits and tangy pomegranate seeds was worth it).

1 comment:

mikimi said...

Brewers yeast is also yummy on brown rice or pasta with drizzled olive oil.
Fruit shake - add leafy green veg as kale as one of fellow Tzfat ladies makes a green smoothie.