Twitter

Monday, July 29, 2013

Lions and Tigers and Tweets, oh my!

Several months ago I took a course for small business owners that was run by the MATI organization. I don't really have a small business, unless you count the Eco Guesthouse. But I was ready to learn something new and registered for the course, which I enjoyed.

A bunch of people in the class urged MATI to open a follow-up course for Internet marketing and we're now in the middle of the six-week course which has my head reeling. Basically, there's so much to do to promote a business...i'm surprised that business owners have the time to actually do the tasks that relate to their business because they're so busy posting, tweeting, linking-in and doing everything else that they need to do to spread the word about their product or service.

Anyway, today's class was about social media -- Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Twitter, etc. I consider myself a not-unintelligent person but for the life of me, I can't manage this twitter thing. You're supposed to "tweet" and read each other's "tweets." Each tweet has a "hashtag" and...well, honestly, the whole thing is beyond me. Yet they say that it's a very powerful tool and extremely popular outside of Israel so I spent 45 minutes working it out and, sure enough, I tweeted.

Good grief.

I have had a relatively productive day though -- in addition to my class I translated the Safed Klezmer Festival schedule into English and posted it on my website. My site now averages 100+ visitors each day -- more during vacation times -- and although I don't make any money from it (haven't figured out how) it's a fun hobby and gives me a break from some of my other tasks. 


No comments: