Twitter

Friday, March 15, 2013

Wildlife

Had a few unique encounters with wildlife today.

First, I woke up to find my cat, Juliette, who is as prissy as her name sounds, playing cat and mouse with a...rat. Ugg.

Even worse was that she actually killed it, to my utter astonishment. Unfortunately, that meant that I was left to dispose of the body, which is not my cup of tea. I'll touch absolutely anything that's alive, including snakes, lizards and all sorts of insects. But dead?

I did it though,after considering the ramifications of waiting until my son woke up -- I think that the teasing would have been worse than actually disposing of the body.

If I don't have to deal with it for another 23 years, which is the amount of time that I've lived here without seeing a rodent (besides Olga, our guinea pig), i'll be quite pleased.

Later on this morning, during my Friday morning walk thorough town, I saw a locust. They swarmed Egypt a few weeks ago and made their way to southern Israel. I had heard that a few hearty locusts arrived in the north, but this was my first indication that they did, in fact, arrive.

Seeing one was kind of ...um...interesting. I'm glad that I didn't have to have thousands jumping and flying all around me.

And, this afternoon, I caught a glimpse of the first group of migrating cranes circling above the house. The nearby Hula Nature Reserve is a resting area for migrating birds and during the spring and fall we often see storks and cranes flying above, though usually not so low and not right smack over my house. 

A little pre-Pesach excitement.


No comments: