Twitter

Monday, March 04, 2013

Lesson Learned

After hours on the phone with my bank and then with my credit card company, I remembered that, yes, the 600 shekel withdrawal was mine. Could I FEEL any more foolish?

But, as they say, everything happens for the good. The incident pushed me to register to track my bank statement online and it turned out that there had been some unnecessary monthly expenses that I had been paying that could be dumped. So I guess that everything happens for a reason.

I tend to ignore bank statements and credit card statements with the rationalization that, unless something jumps out at me (like a sudden drop of 600 shekels), it's just peanuts, even if it is a mistake. But when those peanuts add up to a bag of peanuts, it demands attention.

A few months ago, I wrote about my tendency to ignore financial statements. There's something about finances that turns me into a 5-year-old. (though I guess that I'm not alone, as evidenced by the fact that many millions of people besides myself file their tax statements at the absolute last minute).

But, as with my last encounter with the world of high finance (phone company), once I plopped the phone next to me and committed to following through on my statement, I was rewarded with, in this case, an extra 200 shekels a month in saved expenses.

Now, of course, we'll see whether this carries through to filing taxes in a timely manner. (Two batches as well -- Israeli and American). 

No comments: