Twitter

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Shkadiya Porachet

If I was to write that title on an email and send it, it would bounce as spam, but in reality, the "shkadiya" is a almond, or, in this case, an almond tree, and "porachet" means "to bloom." There are not many Israeli kids who reach nursery school without knowing the "shkadiya porachet" song and, having raised five of these kids, I know the song well.

The shkadiya trees are endemic to the Galilee and, song or no song, I didn't always pay much attention to them. But in recent years I have begun to notice more of the natural beauty around me, and, as soon as I mentioned to my daughter on Saturday night that I hadn't yet seen any blooming shkadiya trees, by Sunday we were enjoying them in full bloom.

There are white and pink shkadiyot, or maybe the white ones turn pink somewhere along the way? Don't know, but when I took the dogs out for their morning walk, I doubled my time out from what I had originally planned to accommodate some more shkadiyot sightings.

Just want to share. In Israel, the shkadiya signifies "spring" in much the same way that Punxsutawney Phil does for American on Groundhog Day. 

Full disclosure -- I took these photos yesterday, when it was sunny. 








No comments: