Twitter

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Chinese Xmas, Safed Style

Throughout Xmas day I was treated to the postings of all the Jews that I know in America getting ready to indulge in the American-Jewish Xmas custom -- Chinese food. I guess that the tradition, which I don't remember from my time, grew because on Christmas, the only restaurants that are open are Chinese restaurants, because the Chinese don't celebrate Christmas either.

So now it's a "hazak" -- strong custom -- at least in some sectors of the American Jewish community.

Well, my mouth was watering. I love Chinese food as much as anyone. But the only Chinese restaurant in Safed is a place called "Thai Bar" which is operated by a bunch of Moroccan and Tunisian kids, fresh from their army service, who just fry everything in tons of oil, smother it in some kind of ersatz sweet and sour sauce, and call it "Chinese" (or Thai....I'm not being picky).

I rarely cook in the middle of the week, but I do tend to go a bit out for Shabat, so guess what Shabbat food is? 

I coated chicken nuggets with corn meal and baked them so that they're nice and crispy. And rice. Cut up chunks of onions, carrots, red peppers, zuccini and cauliflower and will plunk them, with some pineapple chunks, in a homemade sweet and sour sauce (thanks cooks.com).

A few days late, but since Xmas in Israel is barely noticed anyway (at least not in my neighborhood), it'll be fine.  

don't know where this appeared, but it's been making the rounds on FB. Chinese and Jews....what would our ancestors have said?

No comments: