Twitter

Friday, December 28, 2012

Ah, Israel.....

My cousins, the New Zealand couple, have been waiting for their official marriage certificate to be issued from Jerusalem so that they can continue the process of buying an apt in Safed (!) Obviously, this is something that I want to help facilitate(!) so when they went back to NZ for a 2-month visit, they asked me to track the arrival of the certificate so that it could be brought to the bank for all the paperwork to be completed.

This process has taken over a month so I was able to finally track it down at the Haifa office of the Rabbinute where the secretary told me that it had just arrived because the driver, who normally transports documents to and from their offices, was sick. For over a month, nothing moved because this one guy was sick. So Israeli.

Anyway, in another Israeli move, she said "I don't want you to have to wait for the mail to bring it to you -- Rabbi so-and-so from Safed is going to be here tomorrow, and he'll bring it back to Safed for you and you can pick it up from his house.

So that's what I did.

Then, when I took the document to the guy who's supposed to take it to the bank and told him the story, he told me his own "only in Israel" story -- he had a prescription for some medication, and when he took it to the pharmacist, the pharmacist noted that the doctor had forgotten to sign the prescription. Just as this guy was starting to think about how he'd have to go back to the doctor's office and then back to the pharmacy, the pharmacist told him "no problem. I'll give you the medicine. My co-worker has to go near the doctor's office later today....he'll stop in and get it signed."

====
I just realized what an international Shabbat meal we're having. In addition to the Chinese food that I wrote about, tonight's dinner is raviolli (cheated -- bought a package), miso soup and sushi (+broccoli, corn and the rest). Yum.

No comments: