Twitter

Monday, November 19, 2012

We're All OK

Last war, we followed the news. This war, we follow the social networking, where everyone and his brother posts his opinion about what's happening.

I'm not particularly pro-active about arguing with people online ... I figure that a lost cause is a lost cause. But I've taken on a few absurd posters, including one UK rabbi who laments the loss of Palestinian lives in Gaza but can't be bothered to relate to the rockets that created the need for the Israelis to respond. I guess that I pissed him off because he accused me of profanity (well, yes, I did say that his post was "bullshit") and then removed me from his "friends." If anyone wants to annoy him, here's his profile: http://www.facebook.com/ZviSolomons?ref=ts&fref=ts. Just don't say, in so many words, that he's full of crapola...he's testy that way.

Mine is the cute one (with the helmet)
Spoke to my son who's massed with the other soldiers along the Gaza border. He can't tell me exactly where he is or what's happening, but he's in the Engineering Corps so if the Israelis launch a ground invasion, he's in the first group over the border. Heartening, huh?

Yesterday I went down to the cemetery to the grave of the ARI to pray for my son, and all the soldiers', safety. There's a tradition in Judaism that if you pray for something at the grave of a righteous person -- a tzaddik -- for 40 consecutive days, it will come about. I don't consider myself a religious nut (not totally, anyway) but I did it twice and both times, my prayers were answered.

So I thought that maybe I'd offer the service -- after all, the cemetery is a 15 minute walk from my house, and the grave of the ARI, Rabbi Yitzhak Luria, is one of the holiest Jewish sites in the world. From previous experiences, I know that it's a big commitment -- you can't go anywhere that doesn't give you the time to get to the grave at least once during every 24-hour period, you go down no matter what the weather is, etc. But it's a big "segula" -- indicator for good fortune, so maybe it will be of interest.

Had a lovely young woman staying in my guest room this Shabbat. She was in Israel on Birthright and wanted to come back and specifically, wanted to come to Shabbat in Safed. She went to a local family for Friday night dinner and came with me to a family that was hosting us for Saturday lunch. Hope that she had a good time. I always wonder what happens to these people -- we develop a relationship, even for a short amount of time, and then the visitors go on their way.  Did something change for them in Safed? Shift? Especially for those people on a "Jewish Journey" -- did they journey?

Speaking of journeys, I'm considering re-activating the Safed T-shirt business that I had a few years ago. The graphics are amazing (I think -- my friend Elisheva did them, i can't take credit), but I'm not sure how to market them. If i was to go back to college, I think that I'd like to study marketing.
 



No comments: