Twitter

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tם Pickle or Not to Pickle

I assume that in some areas of the country, olives come in a can or jar, but in Tzfat, people wait for the autumn and head out to their local olive tree to pick their olives. I must admit, once you've eaten home-pickled olives it's pretty hard to go back to the canned stuff.

I've tried on several occasions to make my own olives but my efforts have always come up a bit short. A few years ago I swore that I was going to leave the olive-pickling to the experts, but a few days ago, while walking the dogs, I saw that a low-hanging olive tree hadn't yet been claimed, so this evening I went back and picked a small amount.

On my way home I met my neighbor, one of the multitude of self-professed expert olive-makers in the neighborhood, all of whom are prepared to give you the benefit of their experience. He told me to pound them first to soften them a bit, and then soak them in salt water for 3 days, changing the water daily.

So, i'm off on an adventure. (A bit depressing that this is my big adventure, but I'll take what I can get) Updates to come.


No comments: