Twitter

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Antiques Outside my Front Door

Honestly, you never know what's going to happen when you step out of your door in this town.

yesterday, I had a dentist appointment on the main street. Just as I was leaving, the annual Lag B'Omer parade passed by.

Every year since 18something-or-other, the community has taken a Torah scroll out of the Abu House in the Old City. They decorate it with all sorts of colored scarves, dance it to the bus station (takes HOURS) and put it on the bus to take to Meron for Lag B'Omer. The Torah Scroll was evidently written by Rabbi Abu and the family keeps it in the ancestral family house to be taken to Meron every year.

Anyway, as the parade moves up Jerusalem Street, our main street, shop owners put out tables with cakes and candies for the marchers and other bystanders to enjoy. It's a very Sepharadic atmosphere and a lot of fun. I've seen the parade before when it started out from the Old City, but never saw it later in the afternoon when the group gets to the main street.

And, as always, I didn't have a camera around (though I have one again....when my daughter's friend cleaned for Pesach, she found ours which my daughter had sworn up and down she hadn't taken....).

I did have a camera available this morning so I was able to take some photos of the work going on outside my office door.

Israeli law states that any kind of digging must have an archaeologist on hand to observe and ensure that no antiquities are being destroyed. So when the Electric Company began to dig up the lane outside to lay new electric cables, the archaeologist was watching, and was able to point out the Ottoman-era building that sits beneath the lane.

In addition, they hit an area with a lot of pottery shards, some of them from the Ottoman (early 16th century) era and one from the Mamluke era (13th - 15th centuries). Wow.


 interestingly enough, the one with the green glazing is the oldest shard
The stones along the sides of the path are from the Ottoman era 



No comments: