Twitter

Saturday, October 08, 2011

Post Yom Kippur

Had a very quiet Yom Kippur. At the last minute someone called to rent the guestroom, so I went down to clean.

Three loads of laundry later (hagai came home from the army so I had his army stuff to add into the equasion) and a lot of cleaning and setting up, we were ready. VERY nice young couple came, and since it was Yom Kippur they didn't eat there or even spend much time in the room, leaving it, pretty much, as clean as when we started out. On the other hand, one of the nice things about having guests in the guestroom is having a chance to chat with them, and that didn't happen. I've started to offer a tour of Tzfat as an added (free) feature of a stay at the Rappeport Guesthouse for people who come for a few days, because it gives the guests a better overview of the town and it gives me a chance to actually spend time with these guests.

thankfully I had made the whole pre-Yom Kippur meal beforehand and then Gal went up to stay with a friend for Yom Kippur, so with just me, Hagai and the dogs, it was pretty quiet.

I went out last night but it was cold and I didn't feel like sitting outside at Beirav, yet i get claustraphobic when I go in, so I wandered around a bit and in the end, just went up on the Tzfat citadel (where it was completely empty -- i shouldn't go there without the dogs, not that they'd ever really do anything to anyone, but it would give someone some pause before starting something) and did my own prayer-thing.

Today, I kept meaning to go to shul, but I had a book, "Inspirational Readings for Yom Kippur" and reading ABOUT the prayers, their meanings, different intrepretations and ways of thinking about the prayers -- well, it was a meaningful day. Plus, I slept a lot. Probably won't get to sleep until very late, but that's what you get for taking two naps during the day.

I had some interesting dreams, but I don't remember much -- just one, where Gal was frying fish, and I was furious because she had already fried up tuna-fish patties and there was no one to eat the (expensive) stuff. Maybe it had something to do with my Yom Kippur resolution to worry less about money?

I did resolve to try to be more pro-active in helping people this year. One idea was to pair up people who live alone with people who would check up on them daily. The idea came about because of a man who lives nearby -- I know him a bit, but not beyond saying "hi" every once in awhile. He has Parkinsons, or something similar, and evidently he fell in his apt a few weeks ago and it was several days before anyone found him. He fell on his arm and it gangreened and had to be amputated. Horrible. But no one thought much about it when they didn't see him for a few days because no one was used to seeing him daily. Anyway, I was trying to think of something that we could do, as a Safed community, to insure that it didn't happen again. There are many singles who live in Tzfat without family -- I'm sure that it's a worry to them.

Ended the fast with the noodle kugel that I had prepared ahead of time, along with some VERY unhealthy cheese burekkas (the dough is, um, not exactly low-cal) and two cups of coffee. Now I'm REALLY not going to sleep for many hours. Should find something useful to do. I've got some freelance writing, which is great. I like it and am, I'm told, pretty good at it. I write for sites that are looking for including keywords, etc, and I'm learning a lot about how to write to optimize websites.

Onto Succot. The succa is pretty much built (a-hem!) and I need to get a new outdoor table, which I've needed to get anyway, so it's simply time. I didn't redo my porch structure before now, which I had planned to do this summer, and the succa is a bit flimsy, but I hope to have the project done this winter, since the wood is really rotting out. Ah, so much to do!

Will have to do some cooking too for the holiday. Some cousins are coming up to spend the first day of the holiday with us so that should be fun. I'm just going to make some one-pot meals with salads to carry us through. I did notice, though, that the weather forecast mentioned that it's going to be colder and a bit rainy during the holiday. Bummer.

No comments: