Twitter

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rosh Hashana 5772

Took the day off work to prepare for our 3-day no-cooking-lots-of-eating Rosh Hashana/Shabbat. when I started out today, I almost didn't know where to start -- there was so much to do! It's 5:00p.m. and, even after a half-hour nap, I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. Ariel came up from Tel Aviv and took her sisters to Haifa to shop, so I have some quiet time to get everything together (and use the laptop, since the desktop computer is on the blink I even made fresh pasta (thanks to my cousins' pasta maker, as well as her recent private tutorial) and have divided up the meals fairly well to avoid over-meat stimulation. Friday lunch will be a BBQ, so I didn't have to prepare anything for that -- I'll just have to remember to take the meat out of the freezer in time. Tofu for the veggies, of course. I need to make the roast for tomorrow night which, with potatos and pasta/pesto should make a nice meal. Thursday I have a lasagne prepared and someone (a daughter, don't know yet which one) is supposed to make something with sweet potatos. For tomorrow night I stuffed chicken breasts with stuffing (again, leaving some out for the vegetarians) and will serve with rice and the ever-present salads. Friday night -- fish. It's just me and the kids, so I don't know who will actually eat it, but I have to try. And for Saturday, I prepared the cholent so that I can throw it on the gas to cook, stick some chicken in the pot with the seasoned potatos and grains, and voila....a one-pot meal. Now, aren't we all IMPRESSED? I sure am. And now that I see the fridge full of mostly-prepared food (will have to bake/cook them tomorrow so they'll be as fresh as possible) I'm starting to relax. Many people have the tradition of starting the rosh Hashana meal with "simanim," foods that are, basically, plays on words. For instance, everyone will have a piece of carrot which, in Hebrew, is "Gezer" and say a blessing that God should "L'gzor" our enemies. The Hebrew word "l'gzor" means cut but it's from the same root as "gezer" (go figure). Anyway, populars siman foods are leeks, dates, cabbage, fish (some people actually have a fish head or meat from a sheep's head on the table so that "we can be at the head of the year and not at the tail,") etc. Friends started the tradtion of having coca-cola as a siman so that "God will hear "kolanu" -- our voices). This year I added beans and fennel as my personal siman. Beans, in Hebrew, are "shu-uit" so the blessing will be that "God whill shoo away our troubles." And fennel is "shamir" so we'll ask that God "shomer" (guards) us. I'm sure that my kids will be mortified, but hey....I've been cooking for 2 days straight -- I get a little fun too! So mamy things to give thanks for this year. We had enough. That's already 90% of life. Other thanks are that my kids have each other, like each other, get along, support each other, they congregate here, in their home, so I can enjoy seeing them together and happy. We're all healthy. That's another 9%. My wish for next year? that I always remember that 99%. And the last1% is that I can find a way to pass some of these messages that i've learned, by the seat of my pants, on to my children. Shana Tova

1 comment:

rena said...

I love your positive attitude in adding up the percentages in your life.