Twitter

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Back to the Basics

Readers of this blog might remember (2005?) that I did a successful diet several years ago, dropping about 15 kilos (30-something pounds). It was a weight-watchers plan which I was able to do on my own, since I have no time to go to meetings or self-help groups. I just got a copy of the plan and managed on my own.

Over the last few years I see the pounds creeping back on, although I try to maintain their "maintenance plan". For some reason, it doesn't work for me any more (probably my absolute love of bread contributes to this).

I saw a friend of mine awhile ago who went from, what I thought was a good weight to absolutely svelt and I asked her for her secret. She's been doing a 6-small-meals-a-day food plan (I don't want to say "diet") and she says that that's what did it. She gave me a copy of the plan at the beginning of the week, and that's what it is....six small meals each day, though the meals aren't so small. Each one basically is a protein, a carbohydrate (whole grains, which for me is no problem because I've gotten used to that)and tons of vegetables. IN ADDITION you can have 2 fruits, a glass of milk and a limited amount of oil or nut butters (yum....peanut butter)

The other catch is that you're supposed to drink between 2 and 3 liters of water EACH DAY. Well, with all of this food and a perpetually bursting bladder, I'm so full that I almost dread the next meal! Which is a shame because you can basically have good food (I've gotten used to eating low-fat food for awhile now and rarely desire baked goods or candy) and the meals are plentiful.

Will report back as time goes on but I'm hoping that someone will call me "svelt" sometime soon too!

No comments: