Twitter

Thursday, September 03, 2009

If You Will It.......

Theodore Herzel famously said, when talking about creating a Jewish homeland, "if you will it, it is not a dream" (or something like that....I get fuzzy about these things).

I'm sure that that's not true 100% of the time, but I noticed that it worked for me, when I was faced with a dead bird in my yard the other day.

I have to back up and say that of all the things that I find to be difficult to deal with, dead anythings is at the head of the list. I can happily grab the biggest and hairiest spider and toss it out the door without a second thought. I won't kill it though because then I'd have to deal with a Big Hairy DEAD Spider, which gives me the creeps.

I managed to bury our dogs when they died, but in general, I stay away from anything that's not alive. That's why, when I noticed a dead bird (a big raven, not a little thing either) laying between the bushes 2 days ago, I just thought "I'll deal with this later". And when later turned out to be nighttime, and I couldn't see the thing and realized that it would take another day, I wasn't disappointed.

But throughout those two days, I kept imaging scooping up the bird with a shovel and putting it into a box, and then taking the box up to the garbage can. Over and over, the image played on my mind. So when the time actually came for me to do the deed, I wasn't as flipped out as I had been, and managed to send the bird onto its final resting place (the garbage can.....I'm not a saint). Now, maybe I can image a full-to-bursting bank account?

Rumor has it that Madonna, who was playing concerts in Tel Aviv this week, is expected in Tzfat. I'm playing it cool......she'd certainly want to stop in at the Tourist Info center, right?

No comments: