Twitter

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The 'hood

I was privileged to raise all of my children on a quiet street where they could easily walk to friends, to town, to stores....anywhere that they wanted to go. They all had friends in the neighborhood, and all of them are still good friends with many of the kids that they grew up with. My 21-year-old daughter in Tel Aviv rooms with a girl who grew up down the street from here, and my son, who is getting married next month, has asked 2 boys who live within spitting distance of our house to be his two witnesses.

So I can't complain too much that now that summer vacation has arrived, my youngest daughter, aged 13, is out every night until 11:00 or later. She's down the street -- last night was a neighborhood bar-b-que, tonight is a birthday party....and the kids are all neighborhood kids, good kids, and I'm pleased that she's got so much action so close to home.

But....I want to go to sleep!

We went to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv for 3 days to look for clothes for the wedding. I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say that we found very little, and are back to square one, this time, doing our shopping in the North. It was a tiring trip, but I did get to see my daughter in Tel Aviv. After 3 years, she had a right to expect a visit, and we had a nice time. But I should have listened to my gut instinct regarding buying clothes. Tel Aviv is for anyone who wants nice material, but very little of it. Which isn't me.

Tomorrow is my last day off, which is hard....I could get used to living like this.

No comments: