Twitter

Friday, June 05, 2009

Puppy Mill

Tzfat seems to have a different sort of puppy mill...at least in my neighborhood, where the proliferation of formerly-abandoned dogs who now have homes has skyrocketed over the past year.

At one time, we were the only family on the street with a dog, Sparky (z"l), who we found while driving out near the Ein Zeitim park one afternoon. Sparky was rather a curiosity, a lively terrier-type who followed me around endlessly and never seemed to want or need anything except a pat and some nourishment.

Next came Angora, who I found rumaging near a trash dumpster one day. A more-or-less daushaund puppy,I brought her home convinced that I'd have no trouble finding a home for her. She lived with us for about 10 years, by which time there were other pooches in the neighborhood.

These dogs were followed by Lena (we took her to a shelter near Tzfat which promises to find the animals homes), Lola (now "Nala", living in Modi'in), Lucy (my daughter's dog, a crazy German Shepard who certainly has several of a cat's 9 lives -- a lady near the police station asked for her), Joey (now happily settled in Shorshim) and a host of others who I can't even remember (even though I paid to have them spayed and one, Nachman, to have his tooth fixed)

I figure that if I kick off and there's a question about whether I get in Up Above, any acts of kindness towards the abandoned animals might help the pendulum swing in my direction.

Of course, the fact that I'm a total sucker might help explain it too.

No comments: