Twitter

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Divine

One might ask why I am awake at 11:30pm. when
1. I'm tired
2. I need to wake up at 7:00a.m.

I decided to "get ahead" a little bit by cooking the Shabbat chicken early (Tuesday) and freezing it. I do that whenever I am organized enough to think about starting Shabbat preparations early in the week so that I'm not frazzled on Thursday -- especially when I know that I'm having company.

I haven't cooked a whole chicken in a long time -- the kids don't like chicken, and if I buy chicken, I usually buy the breasts. But this time I bought 2 chickens (guests this week) and, being little Suzie Homemaker, covered the pan with tin foil to "keep in the juices" while it was cooking(all right, a secret....I usually just shove the pan into the oven, and when the chicken gets a bit dry, try to disguise it with more gravy).

So, when I went to take out the pan at 10:00p.m., figuring that 1/2 an hour of cooling would bring me to my bedtime, I saw that somehow, covering the pan prevented the chicken from baking as quickly as it usually does. It was half raw. So back in the oven it went, and here i am.

These last few weeks I've been noticing something interesting in my little neck of the woods. It's nothing new, but I never really thought about it before. It's about some oft-used phrases that one hears a lot around here.

Religious Jews often use the phrase "Baruch HaShem", "thank God" when talking.

How are you? Baruch HaShem. How's work? Baruch HaShem. What's the exchange rate today? Baruch HaShem.

Also, there's a lot of "B'Ezrat Hashem", if God wants.

Will you be at the library this afternoon? B'Ezrat HaShem.

Etc.

Well, all of a sudden, I started noticing that EVERYONE is using these expressions. One expects it of the Holy Rollers, but I started noticing that it's a phrase that people whom I wouldn't expect to give much thought to The Heavens use too. Women in clothes that you'd expect to see on a beach, men with earrings and tattoos.....everyone seems to be invoking His name when planning for the future or noticing that things in the present are OK.

It could be something new -- a new feeling of spirituality. But I suspect that all along, the very people whom are sometimes dismissed as being far from tradition are those who are quite close, and less likely than some others to take their spirituality for granted.

Chicken's cooled. I'm gone.

No comments: