Twitter

Monday, May 25, 2009

Website Building for Dummies

LunarPages

If you would have told me, fifteen years ago, that I'd be able to work with basic computer skills, I would have laughed.

For me, changing a light bulb is about as technical as I can get, and my entrance into the world of computer literacy was accomplished with much kicking and screaming.

Slowly and surely, however, I became competent on the computer, learning to navigate the internet and work with WORD, EXEL and even POWERPOINT, though only with much tutoring and hand-holding.

The world of websites and working with computer "languages" however, always seemed to be as far into outerspace as one of NASA's launches.

So it was with much trepidation that I began to explore the possibility of building my own website several months ago when my former simple space on the web, a free website template, no longer seemed adequate for my needs.

"Build a site" my friends told me repeatedly, when I complained that I had amassed a ton of material which would assist visitors to my city, as well as lead them to my own rental guest room. I just chuckled. Me, build a website? My 13-year-old helps me when I get stuck on computer issues!

Slowly though, I began to research the possibilities, and found a well-respected "how-to" site which gave a list of 10 recommended website hosting companies. I looked up each company's listing with the Better Business Bureau, and found that only one, Lunar Pages, had not only received accreditation, but their review by the BBB was excellent.

I slowly looked through the Lunar Pages site, and did several cost-comparisons with other web-hosting companies, including the company which had hosted my freebie for a number of years, and with whose webbuilding program I was comfortable with already (which says a lot, considering that I was quite nervous about tackling something new).

I was also pleased to see various options which gave me different alternatives for my site. The were various time frames that I could sign up for, as well as different programs designed to meet alternate needs. In the end, I chose one program, and when, after starting, it seemed to be the wrong choice for me, the LunarPages staff immediately offered me the option of switching, even though it meant that I would receive a refund for the difference.

LunarPages costs were extremely competitive and favorable in comparison to what other companies were offering. In addition, from the moment that I started the process of registering with them and as I began to ask my numerous questions about getting started, their support team was always available and willing to assist, even with questions with must have seemed ridiculous to them for their simplicity.


Every issue that I was struggling with, every new "oh no, how am I going to figure THIS out?" that cropped up, they have been with me, patiently teaching me how to set up my site.

I don't think that Bill Gates will be looking to hire me anytime soon, but I am thoroughly satisfied with LunarPages, and highly recommend that anyone building a website or looking to host a site, rank beginners as well as more advanced builders, consider their company.

Check out LunarPages for an amazing webhosting and website building opportunity.

No comments: