Twitter

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Tishrei

Angora z"l


Have thought about posting for weeks, but it's almost impossible to get near the computer when I have time (too many competitors around) and anyway, there's just never any time....


It's the night after Yom Kippur, and since I slept

for a good part of the day (till 11:00a.m., and then a nap in the afternoon) I can allow myself to stay up while everyone else has gone to sleep to surf, write, and generally allow myself some downtime.

So far, the holidays have been nice, though all the work has been kind of draining. Everything is double-time, the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. We had quite a lot of company during Rosh Hashana, so I haven't been inviting too much for Succot, though if anyone asks, they're welcome to come. A cousin who is studying this year in Jerusalem is planning on coming up for the Shabbat of Succot, together with some friends, and that should be fun.

Angora, our daushaund, died on Rosh Hashana. Sad. She just started breathing heavily during the morning, and while I was thinking about how to get her to the vet on Sunday (no car now, new story...later) we saw that she'd laid down on the porch and was breathing her last. Aside from the sadness of loosing an animal that we'd cared for for many years, there was also the practical aspect to deal with -- what do we do with the body? In the end, we wrapped her up in a sheet and laid her in a corner of the yard until Saturday night, when some neighbors came over to help me bury her. We buried her near Sparky, and Margalit made her a nice headstone (it was a shallow grave, because it's hard to dig too deep, so we put a lot of stones over her to keep any visiting creatures from digging her up!)

So, the car. The yearly expenses were coming up, and I just didn't have the money to cover my half, even though it's still half my car. So I gave Yoni permission to take it to his new home -- he said that he was moving to Mitzpe Ramon, in the Negev, though I'm not sure that that's where he ended up. No matter, the car is gone, and it's hard not having that freedom to run errands easily, get my shopping done quickly, or especially take the kids to where they need to get to. New reality.

Avishai gets out of the army in 2 weeks, and he'll be coming home to live, for awhile anyway, while he does his matriculations at the local community college and tries to save some money. That's got to be my next priority....finding him work that's flexible so that he can go to classes. It's on tomorrow's list.

List for this week:

  • work for Avishai
  • get pictures developed for relatives (I do this every fall -- hopefully they'll remember me a bit)
  • shopping for Succot
  • cooking for Succot
  • lulav and etrog
  • eggs (I get them separately from the regular shopping, since they're cheaper if I get them at the fruit and vegetable store)
  • errands and bills at the Post Office
  • blankets (need some new ones)
  • winter shoes for Margalit (Hagai needs too, but he never gets shoes until it's so cold that his toes freeze in his crocs)
  • get succa up

I'm sure that the list will grow as the week progresses. Truthfully, I always dread the closure of the english library every Tishrei....they close for 4 or 5 weeks. But at least for those weeks, I don't worry about working around that hour that I would otherwise be spending in the library on Friday mornings.

A friend told me about someone who makes sushi in JErusalem every erev-Shabbat and sells it for 25 shekels/roll. So I advertised to try doing it in Tzfat, for 15 shekels, which would still give me a reasonable profit. After all, no one else is doing it, and it's relatively easy to make. So we'll see if I can make it work...maybe earn a few extra shekels, which would be helpful.

No comments: