Twitter

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Summertime



I've said this before, but it always amazes me, the schizophrenic manner of the Jewish year.
The weeks and then days leading up to Tisha B'Avi are to intense...no hair-cutting, no meat-eating, no swimming or music....and then Tisha B'Av itself, with its fast and somber atmosphere.
And then, bang! The day after Tisha B'Av, summer vacation hits. Everyone starts smiling, swimming, travelling, singing, getting married -- a turn-around of 24 hours that leaves one breathless.
Anyway, last week my brother Dov and his wife Michal came up to Tzfat for a few days with their 2 little boys. It was really nice to see them, and I appreciated the effort that it took for them to schlep to little boys up on the bus and train. Our house is no longer child-proof, which must have made it difficult for them, but every once in awhile, it's nice to remember that one has family around.
Margalit left with her friends today to head down to Rishon L'Zion. It's going to be VERY quiet in the house for a few days, and I'm looking forward to the break. Maybe I'll get to start exercising or walking a bit, which has been on the back burner for quite a while now. I'm still guarding my weight loss, and constantly checking to make sure that it doesn't start creeping back up, though honestly, there just doesn't seem to be time to do everything. I finally found a website with back episodes of M*A*S*H, which I've wanted to see for years -- it's so much fun to see that old show -- and I have about half-an-hour a week to sit and watch a show.
Another show that the kids were watching incessently was "Friends". Margalit used to watch several episodes a day. Finally, I started watching it, and was stunned to see how sexually explicit the dialog was -- I hadn't realized what she was watching! So I flipped out. My son removed the episodes from the computer, but I feel terribly guilty that I didn't stop it earlier.
Once upon a time, I was much more on top of what was going on in my house. These days, I leave the house when everyone is still sleeping, come home after a full day to start running around and taking care of shopping, cleaning, errands, cooking, etc., and am NOT the hands-on mother that I once prided myself on being. Sigh. My friend, who was raised by a working single-mother, tells me that the kids learn self-reliance and independence, and that I shouldn't feel guilty. But....I do.
In other facinating news of the Rappeport family, I will be taking Miranda, the cat, to the vet for a cat-dental-check-up. She cries every time she eats, and I've put it off for quite a long time ($$$, you know) but the time has come to deal with her. I don't envy the vet -- Miranda isn't an easy character.
I'm hoping for some reasonable rentals this next week-and-a-half, so that we can take a family vacation after Klezmer Festival. Don't know yet where....maybe an overnight of camping, and then down to Jerusalem for a few days. Just the gas will cost an arm and a leg! But I haven't had any kind of vacation for years (unless you count the war, which I don't, since I was an emotional basket-case during the entire month) so it's time to do something fun.

No comments: