Twitter

Monday, September 18, 2006

Dull. HA!

If there's one thing that my life isn't, it's dull. When I think about everything that we've gone through during the past month, since returning from the south, I find myself amazed that I'm still standing.

Work, of course, has been pretty interesting. Livnot is coordinating volunteers who are coming to work in Tzfat, rebuilding and renovating bomb shelters to be used as public spaces...no one says it out loud, but everyone is aware that ultimately, the possibility is that they will need to be used again.

So I am the first contact that most new volunteers have, both initially by phone or e-mail, and then when they come. Interesting people, and very nice. We have volunteers almost every week for Shabbat lunch, and that's fun...I feel as though they're my window to the outside world sometimes, giving me the opportunity to see what's "off the mountain".

I did my biopsy too...I guess that I should be pleased that it's over, though I don't have the results yet. But at least whatever the question is here is now on its way to resolution, one way or another, and I'll deal with it.

Then, there's Ariella's dog, Lucy. (see previous eye-rolling posts). I told Ariella that, before she headed down to Tel Aviv for her National Service, she had to do something about Lucy, since I was unwilling to take on the care and feeding of a cat-killing Alsatian/German Shepard/Rotweiller. Not that Lucy isn't a fairly nice dog...she is. But I have enough on my plate. Anyway, Ariella gave Lucy to an Arab worker who promised her faithfully that he'd bring Lucy for visits, etc., and drove away with her, only to tell her subsequently that Lucy had "flown the coop".

Ariella was furious, but instead of shrugging her shoulders and figuring that the dog would have to make her own luck, Ariella spent several afternoons wandering around Nazareth and Nazareth Ilit, posting signs and talking to people. I was sorry to see her putting out so much effort, only to fail, but....she didn't fail! Last week, she got a call that Lucy was at the pound in Nazareth Ilit, and she headed up there to spring the mutt. Wednesday night at 3:00a.m., the two of them arrived at our door, hungry and relieved to be back together.

Then, the story gets even stranger. For the first time ever, I saw an ad on the local Tzfat e-newsletter from a woman whose neighbor had lost a GERMAN SHEPARD and was LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ONE! Can you believe it? Ariella wasn't thrilled about another separation, but I stuck to my original statement...Lucy couldn't stay here....so Thursday afternoon, we took the dog to this lady who was enthralled with Lucy and took to her with all her heart.

Now I have to hope that she's not tied up (Ariella was worried that the woman was going to keep her tied because of her other experience with having a dog stolen out of her yard) because that will cancel the entire deal. But for now....as everyone who hears the story has noted, that dog must have some sort of special gilgul! (reincarnation).

I'm taking bets that Hagai will be doing home-schooling before the year is out. It would be good for him, I think...he's an independent learner, and he finds it hard to sit for so long in the classroom, especially 4 hours of Gemorah every day. WHY do they have to make the religious school system so rigid? They end up alienating so many kids...I suggested to the Rav that he let Hagai learn independently, but from what Hagai says, he's not willing to take him out of the "framework". So I let Hagai know that the option is open, and when he's ready, he can let me know.

Went to Yochi's school yesterday for a parents meeting. I had to leave the house at 7:45p.m., just after Margalit got home from playing at her friends' house, and didn't want to come home later than 9:00p.m. so that I could put her to sleep...otherwise, she'd be awake all night. It gets wearing, doing everything. But I've noticed that the kids have become very protective of me...they see that I'm doing everything, and they try to compensate in many ways. Still, I feel like Cinderella sometimes...don't get out much.

Yochi's teacher mentioned that they had a drill at the school last week where the girls were supposed to go into the shelter. They told the girls several times that there would be a drill, that a siren would be sounded, and they told them exactly when the drill would take place. But still and all, when the sirin sounded, several girls simply went to pieces. The trauma of the war is going to be with us for years to come.

No comments: