Twitter

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mimouna

What is Mimouna, you ask.

Mimouna is the Moroccan holiday that Moroccan Jews celebrate on the night after Pesach ends. They whip out their hametz utensils faster than I thought was possible and start making "muflettas", basic flour & water pancakes with syrup on them. Not low-cal.

Anyway, my Moroccan neighbors entertained everyone last night to a Mimouna, and banged away on their drums till close to 2:00a.m. I am completely exhausted now. I keep thinking, naively, I guess, that if I just can explain to them that their celebrations with their drums keep us awake all night, they'll stop, but so far, as nice as I try to be about it, it's like talking to a wall. Oh, they listen nicely, but then go ahead and do whatever they wanted to do anyway. Very annoying...I've GOT to find some good earplugs. On the plus side, they're perfectly pleasant, helpful neighbors, and considering the terrible neighbors that some people have, I have little to complain about.

Plus, even though I don't have much in common with their celebrations, and don't really know their guests, they always invite me.

The rest of Pesach was a LOT of work, but the kids all had a nice time, so it was really nice. I had to constantly think about food, the next meal, etc. But except for the grumbling about the dog situation (in addition to our 3, Ariella's dog Lucy was in our yard until Tuesday evening, causing everyone to scream at me, and our guests brought along their own dog for their stay), it went smoothly.

On Monday, we went up to the Golan for a hike. We started at a point where there was once a Jewish village in Talmudic times, with a synagogue which is presently being restored. Then we walked for about an hour down to a spring and hung around, playing in the water for awhile. All the kids had friends with them of their own ages and temperments, and no one kvetched even once about the walk.

Tuesday I spend the entire day cooking for Tuesday night's Yom Tov (holiday) dinner. Thank goodness that I had my food processor! I wasn't going to make any meat...just gefilte fish, chicken soup, salads, and an eggplant casserole, but in the end I did cook up some chicken breasts, and it disappeared!

Wednesday, the boys took over the barbqueing, and we had "on-the-fire", as they say in hebrew, for the holiday lunch. I had enough meat there for, what I was sure, would be days of leftovers. There too I was in for a suprise -- myself and 9 children, one of whom is a vegetarian, completely finished a kilo of turkey meat, a kilo of hamburgers, and 2 kilos of chicken wings. WOW!

Now we're back to regular, though I have to completely wash down the house in the next day or two. I realize that I need to start thinking about a screen door, since the noise of the front door opening and closing is very annoying, so I hope that my rental takes off a bit.







The rest of Pesach was

No comments: