Twitter

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

D-Week

Hagai and Uriel Glazer barbquing for Purim


Margalit clowning at Purim


Yochi and Hagai, Purim eve
It's D-Week, the week before Pesach. It's not that there's SO MUCH left to do, it's just the organization and scheduling of everything. For instance, when will I put all the chametz stuff away and take out the Pesach stuff? The kids want it to be as last-minute as possible, so that they can continue to eat chametz as long as possible. I, on the other hand, would like to have done it yesterday.

In general, a few days before Pesach, we put everything chametz out on the porch, including the toaster oven, and just eat there. But it's still cold and wet, and who knows what it will be like next week! What a drag.

And then, there's the last Shabbat, Shabbat HaGadol, when a number of friends and neighbors have the Shabat lunch in a local park. About 20 families/singles join together, and it's great fun. It also eliminates the need to cook for that meal. But the weather.....who's great idea was it to have Pesach in the spring anyway?

At least I'm not back in Detroit, where April can still mean snow. I don't miss THAT at all. And one way or another, it'll work out. And I've been spending a lot of time gathering tidbits, stories, antedotes, and just general knowledge for the Seder so that we can have a meaningful one...not just read through the Hagadah. There's so much information out there today on the internet, it's wonderful. I have craved that during the last few years...a Seder that brought in some deeper meanings and thoughts, not just the hagadah text. Of course, it's draining, doing the physical and spiritual preparations for Pesach, but I hope that my children will feel something from it.

Tomorrow the "hagala-mobile" arrives in my neighborhood. "Hagala" is the process of kashering a utensil by immersing it in boiling water, and some people kasher quite a bit of their Pesach utensils in this way. I just have most of my Pesach stuff separate, but I do boil my silverware at home before Pesach. Tomorrow, however, I have a few things that I'm going to take to the pre-designated place where they (representatives of the local rabbinute) will be setting up a huge pot of boiling water for anyone in the neighborhood to come and immerse their pots/pans/whatever. I've often wondered what tourists, who are wandering through the Old City, must think about the sight...when I think about it for any length of time, I just come up with the conclusion that we Jews are NUTS!

Finally figured out how to download my pictures into the computer, so I can finally post! The ones at the top of the page are from Purim.

No comments: