Twitter

Sunday, March 19, 2006

technological blip

Just got my last roll of pictures developed, and there are some that I'd love to post, but....I'm having trouble figuring out how to work the disc that they gave me. I downloaded the disc to my computer, but can only see all the pictures at once...can't figure out how to pull out one at a time. Gr-r-r-r-r. I'll just have to ask my 13-year-old.

The Purim barbque was a great success. Hagai and his friends did the fire and the grilling, while the rest of us sat around the table, munching. Everything was grilled to perfection. The last time Avishai was home, he got the fire going by putting our fan on an extension cord and bringing it out the window to fan the fire -- quite a bit easier to get the fire going when you don't have to spend so much time and energy madly fanning it manually. A bit of a cheat, I guess, but it worked. So Hagai had the fan next to him the whole time, and getting a nice hot fire going was a....um...breeze.

The director of the program that I work with, aharon, mentioned that his son was returning to Tzfat...he had tried to help set up a farm in the Shomron (Samaria), but it hadn't worked out.

I was again brought to examine my own reservations at starting anything new...the fear of failure, of trying the unknown. I told Aharon that I admired his son for trying (trying, in his case, meant not only going to see if he could live there, but taking with him his wife and 3 little girls). so what if it didn't work out -- he tried to follow his dream.

I have an idea for a little cottage industry, and I'm pretty sure that it would be a success. But aside from the time pressure that I'm under (I barely have time to make phone calls -- I'd have to get a design ready, order the initial shipment, work out payment, register with the income tax authorities, and figure out how to market), I'm scared about investing the initial, what would be, about $1000.

I'm so used to living hand -to-mouth that the thought of finding 4500 shekels to invest terrifies me. Yet I'm pretty sure that I could at least get a return on my investment, and I'm also pretty sure that I'd turn a profit.

I hear all the time about people who mortgage their home because they think that they have a good idea and need some start-up capitol. Why can't I?

Maybe after Pesach cleaning is finished....

No comments: