Twitter

Monday, June 13, 2005

Shavouth resolutions

Shavouth just finished, and I have come up with a few "revelations" of my own:

1. I will attempt to attend more Torah classes this year. They uplift me, strengthen me, and focus me. HOWEVER, I will try to find some classes in english, since today's class, the yearly shiur in memory of my old friend and neighbor Rachel Ben Zev, was given in hebrew, and I found it difficult to concentrate on the content because I was concentrating too much on the words.

2. I will make dairy for Shabbat more often. Yoni never liked it, so I never did it too much, but having dairy on Shavouth was great. The kids all ate heartily, and Ariella appreciated not having to avoid the main dish (she's a fairly militant vegetarian). So from now on, I'm going to try to make dairy meals at night, and simply due to the lack of imagination and cooking time, meat for Saturday.

3. I will try to water the garden this summer! I cleared out a plot and planted some vegetables, and want to plant some more, but I need to take care of it, so I need to set aside some time every week to do so. We no longer have a rabbit that I need to worry about munching my produce, but I'll have to find a way to keep the turtles out.

Back to work tomorrow. Didn't miss it a bit. I've gotten used to rushing off to work and trying to work housework, shopping, and children in between everything, and thank goodness, I work with great people and enjoy the work.

This evening, I had just come back from taking my daughter to her occupational therapy appointment, and was looking forward to running to a neighbor's open house for a new Environmental Center/Healthy Living center that a bunch of people here are working on, when my 12-year-old met me at the door in a panic. He had forgotten his backpack in the bus stop in front of his school, out on the main road.

For a hundred-and-forty shekels (which is what this backpack cost me -- a replacement for his OTHER lost backpack that he left on the bus about 6 months ago) I put him in the car and we dashed out to the bus stop, a 15-minute drive outside of Tzfat, to see if the pack was still there.

It occured to me that, in other parts of the world, one would worry that the item had been stolen, but in this part of the world, I could only imagine police cars blocking the road in either direction as the bomb squad came to blow up hagai's math and history books, plus a deck of playing cards, some marbles, and who knows what else.

But when we arrived, it was clear that the backpack was still quietly sitting in the corner where Hagai had left it, and after a quick, illegal U-turn, we had it back in custody. I wonder what the lifespan is of other kids' accessories which are not buttoned, belted, or in other ways tied to their bodies -- I, personally, am wondering if I'm doing something wrong, having had to replace a lot of basic possessions of my childrens' lately.

No comments: